I love getting my haircut because . . . well, not only do I think the woman does a great job (I may be bias), but her place is full of beautiful little things.
The little details around her shop are impressive. They speak of her attention to every aspect of her business. They tell of a shop that is committed to excellence. They embody a love of beauty that I want to imitate in my own life.
They also remind me of the beauty of God and all his creations. Of a God who loves me beyond measure. Of a God who puts beauty all around me to enhance my life and my understanding of who He is.
He is after all,
- the God who commands the morning and causes the dawn to know its place (Job 38:12);
- the God who brings rain to a land without people, on a desert without a man in it (Job 38:26);
- the God who commands the eagles to mount up and make their nests on high (Job 39:27);
- The God who gave his only begotten Son to die for the sins of a stiff-necked and disloyal people because he loved them so (John 3:16).
The God who gives me so very much to be grateful for in the everyday of life.
- Summer rain
- lightning in the night sky
- cool breezes through the bedroom window
- boys on a hike – in the water, under the trees, through the meadows
- hollyhocks in bloom
- sunflowers starting to show their potential
- berries to glean
- puffy clouds in which to find shapes
- the grain of wood to admire
- pumpkin to make into muffins – and a healthy muffin recipe
- songs of worship to sing
- opportunities to pray
- the passing of one who has been in so much pain
- the comfort of a spiritual family for those left behind
- friendships to grow over years and years